ON THE 11TH of May 1933 Mrs John Cuthbert Denison-Pender opened a new administrative headquarters for Imperial and International Communications (to become Cable and Wireless Ltd in the following year). The building was intended as a headquarters for the newly combined cable and radio services. The centre of operations remained at Electra House in Moorgate, the company’s previous administrative and operations centre.
During the Second World War, when Moorgate was bombed, Electra House (Embankment) became the centre of operations. This building was also struck in 1944 by a German flying bomb but emergency power kept the circuits in ‘The Fortress’, as it was known, working. In 1955 the company headquarters moved to Mercury House in Theobalds Road although Cable & Wireless (Holding) Ltd remained at Electra House along with the Post Office Overseas Telecommunications Executive.