About this site Contents Index Life of the Company Family Tree Around the World Advances in Technology Teacher's Pack
Logo
Title
Mercury House, London
Section Gfx


Artist’s impression of Mercury House, 1955

IN NOVEMBER OF 1955, Cable & Wireless moved from Electra House Embankment into new headquarters in Theobalds Road, London. The building was named Mercury House after the Greek messenger of the Gods and was officially opened by Lord Reith in December 1955. The architect was Gordon Jeeves, with interiors planned and designed by the company’s chief architect H C Upton.

Mercury House was the headquarters of Cable & Wireless from 1955 until October of 1990 when a rebuilding programme was started. It re-opened in early 1993 and remained the corporate headquarters until 2005 when the main offices moved to Bracknell, Berkshire.


The colours used in the original interior of Mercury House formed a classic fifties palette of pink, mint green and pale blue. The colour scheme was designed by R F Wilson, art director of the British Colour Council. He intended that the colours should ‘promote health and efficiency by reducing eye strain to a minimum’!

John Hutton, designer of the large glass screen at Coventry Cathedral, contributed three glass panel designs for the entrance hall balcony at Mercury House. Their designs symbolised the worldwide nature of the company’s activities: Air, The Oceans and Electricity.

Officially known as simply 124 Theobalds Road, many continued to call the building by its old name, Mercury House, until the company’s final departure.
See Also
Prev Next

  • Electra House, Embankment: ‘The Fortress’
  • Electra House, Moorgate


  • THE LIFE OF THE COMPANY ADVANCES IN TECHNOLOGY THE FAMILY TREE AROUND THE WORLD