THE FIRST SUBMARINE telegraph link with Singapore was made in 1869. By 1871 it was a major station on the international network with the establishment of the sub-sea link between Singapore, Penang and Madras. International radio came to Singapore in 1914 when Marconi installed stations at various points around the Empire.
Cable & Wireless continued to operate the external communications of Singapore until 1st January 1965. In 1994 a new representative office was opened in Singapore.
Following the Japanese surrender in August 1945, civil communications were re-established in Singapore by the arrival of a Cable & Wireless mobile telegraph station mounted on a landing craft with the British fleet on the 5th September 1945. The public telegraph service was re-opened on the 19th September. This is the first telegram to be transmitted on the restored public service.
The company’s stand at the Singapore Constitution Exhibition in 1959. This photograph shows Miss Elsie Lai demonstrating Deskfax equipment.