AS A MAJOR cable station and the hub of the Eastern Telegraph Company’s international links, Porthcurno (known as ‘PK’) was an obvious enemy target. In 1914, a detachment of 43 soldiers arrived and was billeted in the theatre. Windows were sandbagged, barbed wire was erected and trenches were dug on the beach. A censor was posted there and the wireless hut on the cricket field was commandeered by the Senior Inspector of Telegraphs.
During the Second World War, more drastic protection was needed for the telegraph station. Tunnels were cut in the cliffs by local tin miners and communications operations were moved inside.