THE TELEGRAPH CONSTRUCTION and Maintenance Company (known as Telcon) was formed through the amalgamation of the Gutta-Percha Company and the cable makers Glass Elliot of Greenwich. Its formation was brought about by the need to supply £700,000 worth of submarine telegraph cable to span the Atlantic. It was registered on 17th March 1864 with John Pender as chairman and capital of £1,000,000.