About this site Contents Index Life of the Company Family Tree Around the World Advances in Technology Teacher's Pack
Logo
Title
Ascension Island
Section Gfx


Cannon on Cross Hill, placed there in the early 19th century by the British Navy to defend Georgetown, the capital.

THIRTY-FIVE SQUARE MILES in size, Ascension Island is located approximately half way between South America and Africa, just South of the Equator. It first came into British possession in 1815 when it was claimed in the name of King George III to prevent the French from using it as a base from which to recapture Napoleon who was in exile on St Helena.

The Eastern Telegraph Company first came to the island in 1899 when a cable link was built between Britain and South Africa via St Helena and Ascension. Within a few years the island was established as an important station on long- distance submarine cable routes to South America.


The telegraph cable link of 1899

Telegraph cable being pulled ashore at Comfortless Cove, 1899.

The ‘Exiles’ Club at Ascension, photographed in the 1930’s.

Giant turtles are indigenous to the island.

Green Mountain as seen from the weather post on Ascension.

IN 1922 THE British Naval garrison withdrew from Ascension and the Island came under the control of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. They passed it entirely into the hands of the Eastern Telegraph Company whose employees doubled up with official posts, with, for example, the Manager acting as the island’s resident magistrate. During both World Wars, Ascension was vital to communications and operations.

In 1942 about 4,000 US servicemen arrived to construct an airstrip for warplanes on their way from America to North Africa. Today, Ascension is still an important station on the company’s international network, employing around 36 staff, many of whom are St Helenian.


The Old Exiles Club and surrounding buildings, 1970.

A commemorative stamp.

In 1966 Ascension became famous as the site of a satellite earth station which was installed as part of the Apollo project. The telegraph cables remained operational until the mid-1970s, supplemented by radio for telephone traffic. A second earth station was installed in 1980 and a third in 1989. In 1984 an electronic telephone exchange was installed, offering international direct dialling.
See Also
Prev Next

  • South America – Early Links
  • Eastern Telegraph Company
  • Sir John Pender – Founder of Cable & Wireless
  • Staff: ‘Where You May Serve’
  • Satellite Communications
  • Second World War


  • THE LIFE OF THE COMPANY ADVANCES IN TECHNOLOGY THE FAMILY TREE AROUND THE WORLD